Skip to main content

Top Ten Tuesday # 24 (Favourite Authors)

TOP TEN TUESDAY is a weekly book meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

Today’s topic is a bit complicated for me; it’s sometimes easy to list your favourite books but not your authors. Or, at least, I find it hard sometimes. Most people consider an author their favourite when they’re read and loved all of his/her work. But I don’t follow that rule exactly. Let’s just say I read a book by a certain author and I love it… the most likely scenario is that that author would become a favourite which means I would try and track down his/her entire bibliography and read it. My list today features a few authors that follow that explanation: I’ve only read one of their books but it was enough to know I will follow their work. I hope this makes some sense. Without further ado…



        

  • J. K. Rowling. Do I need to write anything else?
  • Charlotte Brontë. Jane Eyre is enough to know Charlotte was one hell of a storyteller. I wanna read her other works but I don’t want to rush it. I’ve learnt that patience is the better strategy when it comes to classics.
  • Marcus Zusak. The Book Thief is one of the best YA books I’ve ever read. It was immensely beautiful. Read it, guys, read it!

      

  • J. D. Salinger. A few years ago – four to be more precise – I read The Catcher in the Rye and it was love at first page. You know my feelings towards this book and I know I still have yet to read more of his work but this book meant so much to me, that its author went straight to my favourite authors list.
  • J. R. R. Tolkien. The imagination of this man was unparalleled. He created not only Middle Earth but so many languages and characters and races to go along with it. Many people find troubles while reading his books because he’s too descriptive and it can be boring at times but just take a moment to think about it. He described the world so well that the reader can picture everything so vividly, it’s insane. I still have to read The Hobbit but The Lord of the Rings trilogy is an absolute masterpiece.
  • G. R. R. Martin. Another mastermind, this man. Although the TV show is probably one of the most successful in the history of TV, he doesn’t really care if the show catches up with the books he’s already published of The Song of Ice and Fire series (which is the case as of right now). So, unfortunately for the readers, we will have two sides of the story: the way the producers of the shows will end the story and the way Martin will. I have mixed feelings about this situation. I mean, I really admire Martin for not rushing his writing and just publish the work for the sake of it but I also wanna slap him in the face for it. My biggest fear though is what if he dies and we never get to read his side of the story? That would be devastating… However, can you imagine if we get the two sides of the story and you end up liking the tv show version more? I don’t know what is worse… hahaha.


  • P. J. Palacio. Her only novel, Wonder, was my favourite book last year for a reason. Yes, it is middle-grade and yes, it is cliché sometimes but the message is there and it is delivered in such beautiful way I can’t stop recommending this book to everyone.
  • Patrick Ness. Another author who has quite a few books published but I’ve only read A Monster Calls and it crushed me. It took me two hours to read it and I spent almost the same time bawling my eyes out. My mom found me crying. It was embarrassing but she’s used to it now…
  • Rick Riordan. When it comes to this man’s books I just have to read them, I don’t care about my age. It was my little sister (well, she’s not so little anymore) who kept telling me to read Percy Jackson and the Olympians and I kept ignoring her. My mistake. I love Greek mythology and this series was fantastic. I’ve also read the next one, The Heroes of Olympus which also features Roman mythology and it was also great. I can’t contain my excitement for his next series about Nordic mythology.
  • Brandon Sanderson. My latest addition to my favourite authors list. I can’t believe I haven’t read anything by him before 2015. He’s fantastic and a great author for those who want to venture into the fantasy genre. His stories are so full of twists and great characters.



I know I have already listed 10 authors but I have to include another one because he’s the writer of my favourite book so far this year; a story that has haunted me since reading it. So last, but definitely not least, is Anthony Doerr. All the Light We Cannot See took me by surprise and I’m very happy I got to read it because it was quite emotional. In case you didn’t know, yesterday the book won The Pulitzer Award for Fiction (you bet I'm happy about this!) so please, please, please if you are interested in historical fiction and can't resist beautiful writing style, pick this book up. It is indeed a beautiful masterwork.




There you have it. My favourite authors so far. I wanted to include many more but at the end I had to restrain myself. I hope you are having an awesome day ^^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).