Skip to main content

Book Review // Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen {Goodreads}
Published by Penguin Books in 2012
Hardcover edition; 416 pages {BookDepository}


Pride and Prejudice is the story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy and how first impressions aren’t always what they seem to be. As most of you might know – and I’m pretty sure you will be sick of hearing the same thing again and again – I tried reading Pride and Prejudice when I was 14. I bought the book on a whim back when I didn’t care much about how good translations of books were and certainly when I didn’t read entirely in English. I got to page 50 and stopped reading. I tried it twice. I just couldn’t. It didn’t catch my attention. The story didn’t click and so the book was forgotten. And now, 10 years later, I’ve read the book because of University and needless to say, I highly enjoyed it.

Austen is incredibly subtle yet, the irony and critic within the pages are palpable. The characters pose as a caricature and it is both hilarious and annoying to read about them sometimes. For instance, I couldn’t stand Lydia and her way she put on airs. How she could believe herself superior to her sisters will always be beyond me. The mother, although exasperating as well, gave me space to laugh at how ridiculous she was. Jane, the eldest sister, is the complete opposite: the most heartwarming character of the novel. She’s calm and honest but the problem is that when people wronged her she doesn’t seem to get angry and it made me angry. I could speak a lot about each individual character but then this review will never end so for the sake of keeping it short, I will say that most of them have good and bad things.

However, spare me the moment to focus on Elizabeth and Darcy. I liked them both and it was just great to read how the perception of each other changed throughout the novel, especially Elizabeth’s. With a few sentences here and there, and some letters her feelings towards Darcy shaped and it is done in a slow and beautiful manner. She is tough but she thaws eventually. And Darcy? Yes, he may be a proud and kind of awkward man but he can’t disguise the piece of cake he really is, all sweet and adorable.

The narrator of Pride and Prejudice is probably one of the greatest things about the story. The intrusive manner in which Austen made him added to my enjoyment. Someone who doesn’t know everything about both the story and the characters, someone who learns about what is going on at the same time as the readers but whose remarks are spot on. I’m happy I got to read what is considered by many to be Austen best novel for University. Pride and Prejudice was such a heartening story and I can’t wait to sink my teeth on her other novels, except Emma which I read a few years ago and loved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018

Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold. Feb, 7th - 10:33.  I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).