Skip to main content

Reading Diary | February Books | 2018


Feb, 1st - 15:15. Finished the second book in the first volume of the Riyria Revelations and I was pleasantly surprised. I still think the world building is the weakest thing about the story because it's not greatly developed but the story is well-written and entertaining. I'm planning on continuing reading the series because now I'm intrigued enough to want to know how everything will unfold.

Feb, 7th - 10:33. I'm finally prepared to go and see the movie Call Me By Your Name because I just finished reading the novel. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is a celebration of love and an exploration of sex and identity. It's quite explicit though so if you feel uncomfortable with that keep it in mind if you're planning on reading it. My full review of the book is HERE (I also talk a little bit about the movie).

Feb, 11th - 17:39. I just closed the last page of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall and wow! It's true it took me a while to get used to Gilbert's narrative voice at the beginning but then, thankfully, Helen takes over to tell her story and I couldn't stop reading until the very end. I truly thought I was going to be reading this book until the end of the month but I was proved wrong. And I've realised that when it comes to classics I need to read them every time I have some free time because if I don't, I'll probably get bored. Anyways, you should know I adored the novel and I cannot wait to read Agnes Grey now.

Feb, 16th - 9:58. Well, here we have the first DNF of the year: The Twistrose Key by Tone Almhjell. This is middle-grade and it sounded to entertaining and I thought I could pick it up to balance out the heavy issues I've been reading lately but this turned out to be a huge disappointment. Were I 8 or 10 years old I might have been able to enjoy it but every time I looked at it I just didn't want to pick it back up and continue reading.

Feb, 22th - 20:57. I forgot to update the other day but I managed to finish As You Like It and A Midsummer Night's Dream by Shakespeare for my dissertation. I enjoyed the latter way more than the former which I was somewhat expecting, I don't know why -- I had a hunch.

Feb, 25th - 20:00. I finished Un mal nombre by Elena Ferrante. I have quite mixed feelings about this book because the first half of the novel was extremely boring in my opinion. The author was going around in circles and it felt as if it was at a standstill. Thankfully, something happened midway through and although it was quite predictable it allowed the story to move forward and caused the development of the characters. The second half of the story I read it super quickly and it's the main reason why I gave it a good rating. I'm planning on reading the last two books of the quartet but in the future. Maybe during the summer, but not now.

Feb, 28th - 19:11. Just as the month is coming to an end, I also just finished my last read Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling) and I have to say that although I enjoyed it, it also made me really angry. Some of the decision the author took I wasn't happy with and I know it is her story and she can do as she pleases with it (especially since she's planning a 14-book series or something like that and loads can change) but I can also be angry at it nonetheless. I wish some stuff would have happened differently. I don't know when the fourth book is coming out so in the meantime I'm enjoying the BBC adaptation which is fantastic.


******************************
******************************
******************************

DIARIO DE LECTURA

1 de febrero - 15:15. Acabo de terminar el segundo libro del primer volumen de las Riyria Revelations and tengo que decir que al final me doy por satisfecha. Todavía creo que el desarrollo del mundo es quizá lo más débil de la historia porque casi no hay básicamente pero bueno, la historia está bien escrita y es entretenida que al final es lo que más cuenta. Tengo pensado leer el siguiente volumen con los libros 3 y 4 porque ahora sí que estoy intrigada y quiero saber cómo sigue todo.

7 de febrero - 10:33. Al fin puedo ir al cine a ver Call Me By Your Name que he terminado de leerme la novela. Me ha gustado bastante. Es una celebración al amor y al despertar sexual y la búsqueda de identidad. La novela es bastante explícita así que si os sentís incómodos leyendo escenas algo subidas de tono, tener en cuenta que el autor no se corta un pelo. La reseña completa la tenéis AQUÍ (además también hablo de la peli)

11 de febrero - 17:39. Por fin he leído a Anne Brontë y ay madre mía me ha encantado La inquilina de Wildfell Hall. No estaba yo muy convencido al principio porque se hace un pelín pesado y la narración de Gilbert no me gusta tanto pero luego hay un giro narrativo y la historia la cuenta Helen y a partir de ahí pues no he podido dejar de leer hasta el final. Pensé que me iba a tirar todo el mes leyendo el libro pero no. Y es que no sé si os pasa lo mismo pero con los clásicos normalmente tengo que darme caña a leer porque si no luego se me puede hacer super aburrido. En fin, que me ha encantado esta novel y estoy deseando leer Agnes Grey.

16 de febrero - 9:58. Y ya tenemos el primer DNF de 2018: The Twistrose Key de Tone Almhjell. Decidí empezar a leer un libro para niños para intentar compensar las lecturas más series de estos últimos días pero al final me ha salido el tiro por la culata. Empecé el libro el día 12 y es que no avanzaba nada pero además no tenía tampoco muchas ganas de continuar la lectura. Es de estas veces que ves el libro, sabes que lo tienes que leer pero tu cabeza está en plan "¿para qué?" y ese es el momento en el que sabes que no lo vas a terminar por una razón u otra. En mi caso es que me estaba aburriendo un montón porque no conseguía atraparme a pesar de ser un libro de fantasía, así a lo Narnia, y por más que me he dicho "venga, otro capítulo más" cada vez me daba más pereza. Así que este se vuelve a la estantería de los que tengo para donar.

22 de febrero - 20:57. Ayer se me pasó por completo deciros que había acabado Como gustéis de Shakespeare y esta tarde he acabado Sueño de una noche de verano del mismo autor. Ambas obras están relacionadas con mi TFG y bueno tenía la corazonada de que me iba a gustar mucho más Sueño de una noche de verano y así ha sido. Me parece mucho más entretenida y graciosa.

25 de febrero - 20:00. Por fin acabo de terminar Un mal nombre de Elena Ferrante. Tengo sentimientos encontrados con esta novela porque la primera mitad me pareció super aburrida y es más, me daba la sensación de que Ferrante solo daba vueltas y vueltas a lo mismo pero sin llegar a ninguna parte. Justo en la mitad pasa algo -- bastante predecible todo hay que decir -- que cambia el tono del relato y permite avanzar la historia y el desarrollo de los personajes, que maduran y se vuelve todo más ameno. De hecho, la segunda mitad la he leído del tirón. Creo que leeré los dos que me faltan de la tetralogía pero no ahora, si no más adelante.

28 de febrero - 19:11. Último día del mes y última lectura: Career of Evil de Robert Galbraith (aka J.K. Rowling). La lectura ha sido bastante entretenida aunque de los tres de la serie, es el que más rabia me ha dado. Muchas decisiones que ha tomado la escritora no me han gustado nada y por supuesto que es su historia y puede hacer con ella lo que quiera pero yo también estoy en mi derecho de, perdón por la expresión, cagarme en sus muertos cuando los personajes hacen algo que a mí no me gusta. El siguiente libro no se you cuando saldrá, espero que el año que viene más que nada para que la BBC tenga más material para grabar y puedan sacar nuevos episodios de la serie que por cierto, me encanta y merece mucho la pena.


Follow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vintage Classics: Brontë Series

Maybe you don’t know this about me but I collect different edition of Jane Eyre and when I learnt that Vintage was releasing the new Brontë series I just couldn’t say no. 

Book Review // Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea

Because of Mr. Terupt  by Rob Buyea { Goodreads } Published by Yearling in 2011 Paperback edition; 288 pages { BookDepository } " Features seven narrators, each with a unique story, and each with a different perspective on what makes their teacher so special.  It’s the start of fifth grade for seven kids at Snow Hill School. There’s . . .  Jessica,  the new girl, smart and perceptive, who’s having a hard time fitting in;  Alexia,  a bully, your friend one second, your enemy the next;  Peter,  class prankster and troublemaker;  Luke,  the brain;  Danielle, who never stands up for herself; shy  Anna,  whose home situation makes her an outcast; and  Jeffrey,  who hates school.  Only Mr. Terupt, their new and energetic teacher, seems to know how to deal with them all. He makes the classroom a fun place, even if he doesn’t let them get away with much . . . until the snowy winter day when an accident changes everything—and everyone. "